Lemont Illinois

Lemont is a French word for The Mountain, and replaced other names that had been given to this area, the original being Keepataw, the name of a Potawatomi chief whose tribe had settled here. They took trading trips between the Mississippi River and Lake Michigan, traveling in birch bark canoes along the Des Plaines River. 

By 1854, railroads were transporting goods faster than water, and Lemont evolved into a railroad community and incorporated in June of 1873.

Later on, limestone quarrying took over as the main economic factor. All of Lemont’s major buildings are faced with Lemont limestone. It is also referred to as “Athen’s marble,” and was the stone used to build the still-standing Chicago Water Tower.

Today you can travel on Metra's Heritage Corridor at the Lemont station, that is 25 miles to Union Station downtown. 

Lemont is close Lewis University (in the neighboring town of Romeovillein). My daughter, Kasey, attended here and majored in aviation. We would wave as she flew over our home in Orland Park and tip her wing. (And we prayed she would never need to do an emergency landing on the farm field adjacent to our property.)

Lemont is home to the Argonne National Laboratory. Sacred architecture is notable in the skyline of Lemont, that is dominated by two landmark religious edifices: the Hindu Temple of Greater Chicago and SS. Cyril and Methodius church in the Polish Cathedral style. Interestingly enough, both are situated on the sides of hills, giving an even more dramatic backdrop to their monumental architecture.

Lemont also has a great food district that includes the highly rated Gelosomos! 

Nearby forest preserves and waterfalls also add a sense of serenity and charm to this town with a suburban lifestyle.

As more homebuyers are looking to move further west and close to the nearby highways (I-355 and I-55), I look forward to showing you properties in this wonderful town, and help you find your new home or townhome in Lemont!

CONTACT ME  TODAY for an appointment!

Search Lemont Illinois Homes for Sale

New Listings

Featured picture for the property 09783063
$475,000
LEMONT, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of d'aprile properties MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 09782474
$435,990
LEMONT, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Realty Executives Elite MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 09782004
$567,000
LEMONT, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of Keller Williams Preferred Realty MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 09781485
$159,900
LEMONT, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of RE/MAX Professionals MLSNI
Featured picture for the property 09781916
$335,000
LEMONT, IL
beds
baths
Listing courtesy of RE/MAX IMPACT MLSNI
MLSNI The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity program of Midwest Real Estate Data LLC. Real Estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo or the Broker Reciprocity thumbnail logo and detailed information about them includes the names of the listing brokers. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may subsequently have sold and may no longer be available. The information being provided is for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Copyright (c) 2017 Midwest Real Estate Data LLC. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed.
DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT (DMCA) NOTICE