We’ve heard it a million times: “You never get a second chance to make a first impression.” This true statement is the same for your home when it’s on the market for sale. Playing up curb appeal of your home can be easy with these tricks of the trade:
Easy Tips to Enhance Curb Appeal
• Power wash the home’s exterior. If you have loose, peeling or cracking paint, fix it - then paint.
• Power wash windows outside and thoroughly clean them on the inside. Remove ant debris and cobwebs — these make windows look dull, and you don’t want that!
• Clean out gutters and replace if them if they are rusty, bent or look old.
• Fix or replace any loose roof shingles.
• Rake up leaves in the fall and tidy up flower beds and gardens in spring and summer.
• Keep your lawn mowed and manicured in the spring and summer, during the sales process. Keep sidewalks and walkways edged neatly.
• Remove weeds, dandelions and grass growing through the driveway or sidewalks.
• Trim tree branches to keep them out of the way of the roof.
• Trim unruly bushes. Remove them altogether if they look scraggly and dry.
• Install ground lights along the front walkway if possible.
• Keep the walkway, the driveway, and sidewalk in front of the house swept.
• Plant bright-colored flowers and keep them watered and looking fresh. Remove wilted dead blooms regularly.
• Place a planter with colorful flowers on your front porch.
• Give your front door a fresh coat of paint or replace it if needed.
• Paint or stain your wood fences and repair any broken fencing.
• Replace the mailbox if it’s old and dingy.
• Put large, clearly visible house numbers on the front of your house or mailbox.
Don't Forget the Back and Sides of Your House
• Power wash your deck or patio; sand and stain if necessary.
• Secure loose railings and wood boards on your deck.
• Trim the bushes throughout your back yard and side areas.
• Create a comfortable sitting area in the back yard. Remember, you can stage the outside of your home as well as the inside.
Thinking of selling your home? Find out what your house is worth with my free custom evaluation report!